IMAGINE A Leisurely SATURDAY AFTERNOON...
A few hours ago, you texted your friend to come over and try your Tea with Chocolate box together.
While you wait for her to arrive, you open up your box and lay the contents out on your table.
You pull out a resealable paper container labeled "Lapsang Souchong." The loose leaf tea inside crinkles as you press it between your thumb and middle finger.
Next you unravel two bars of chocolate and read the label: "Smoked Black Tea and Sea Salt: 73% Cacao" from French Broad Chocolates in Asheville, North Carolina.
Finally, you hear light swoosh noises as you crack open your Insights letter.
Ring! Your friend shows up at the door.
You say hello, then usher her to your table as you crack open your letter, find steeping instructions, and get ready to taste.
Over the next few hours, you and your friend:
- Experience a deliciously slow escape from today's frenetic world. Hours go by without looking at your phone as you steep cup after cup and munch away at the smoky, salty chocolate.
- Feel good about contributing to the caring economy. You learn that French Broad Chocolate is fully committed to trading directly with and paying above-market prices to their cacao farmers, which helps them work and live with dignity.
- Grow your friendship by experiencing deliciousness together. The hours you spend sharing stories and relaxing over delicious food feeds both your stomachs and your souls.
IN THE MONTHS THAT FOLLOW...
Month after month, you look forward to steeping, chewing, and reading your way through your Tea with Chocolate boxes.
Over time, you:
- Become a tea and chocolate connoisseur. You suggest tea pairings for your friends' dinner parties. People ask you what type of chocolate they should buy for their girlfriends. You say farewell to Lipton tea and Kit Kat bars.
- Spend more meaningful face time with your friends. You frequently use Tea with Chocolate as an excuse to call over a friend for some much needed face time. The regular, authentic human connection makes you happier.
- Love tea and chocolate way more than you ever thought possible. When you first signed up, you thought we were a little crazy. How could a group of people be so enamored with tea and chocolate? Six months in, you're just as crazy in love as we are.
Life is noticeably sweeter when it sits between slow sips of fine tea, flavorful bites of craft chocolate, and hearty laughs with friends.
WHAT YOU GET
We're all about Tea with. So our first offering is Tea with Chocolate. Every Tea with Chocolate box comes with:
Two Artisan Teas
2 BARS OF BEAN TO BAR CRAFT CHOCOLATE
The INSIGHTS LETTER
OUR 1% PROMISE
BETTER TEA WITH BETTER STORIES
TWO Artisan TEAs
Artisan is overused, but there's no better word for what we're sending you. We use the word artisan to refer to tea that was crafted for quality over quantity. Your Tea with Chocolate box will come with 30g each of two artisan, loose leaf teas derived from the Camellia sinensis plant.
The best way to understand what kind of teas you can expect is to understand what kind of tea importers we choose to work with.
MOST SPECIALTY TEA ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH
There are a few reasons you won't find teas from Teavana, David's Teas, or other specialty tea shops in your boxes. While we thank them for the great work they are doing to make higher quality teas cool in the West, we can't compromise on the following criteria:
- No artificial flavorings. You won't find any spray-on blueberry mint flavorings in your teas. Tea with Chocolate is for the serious tea adventurer who wants to explore authentic loose leaf teas.
- Simplicity indicates quality. Speciality tea shops use funky blends and fancy marketing to mask the poor flavor of their commodity teas. Your Tea with Chocolate boxes will feature carefully crafted teas that sing with a complexity of flavor and texture all on their own. If we send you a blend, it'll be one that uses whole, natural ingredients to make an already wonderful tea even better.
- Transparency begets appreciation. We believe that knowing the story behind a tea (and chocolate, for that matter) elevates your experience of the tea to a much higher level. Where was it grown? How is it processed? How did it originate culturally? Since most speciality tea shops are unable to provide much more than a tea type and ingredients list, they don't make the cut.
YOUR TEA COMES FROM NEXT GENERATION TEA IMPORTERS
There exists is a small group of little known tea importers who are working to create next generation tea import deals. We seek them out and send you their teas. These tea importers:
- Have direct relationships with tea masters and estates. By avoiding commodity tea markets and procuring fine teas directly from origin countries, they are able to supply teas that are a level above 99% of what you can get on the mass market.
- Demonstrate extraordinary passion. They spend years traveling to China, India, Japan and other parts of the world to source tea. They choose to stay small and high quality rather than go big and cut corners.
- Create transparent supply chains. Because they have direct relationships at origin, they are able to provide information about tea that most others can’t. They can provide information like:
- The Camellia sinensis cultivar employed.
- The tea’s unique terroir.
- The cultural significance of that specific tea.
THE KINDS OF TEA's YOU'll TASTE
Delicious is good for the Soul
TWO BARS OF BEAN-TO-BAR CRAFT CHOCOLATE
Bean-to-bar craft chocolate is on the rise, so you may already be intimately familiar with why we'd choose to only send you bean-to-bar craft chocolates from award-winning companies like Askinosie and Dick Taylor.
WHY DELICIOUS IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL
There is a fundamental difference between mass market "premium" chocolate (e.g. Godiva, Lindt) and more niche bean-to-bar craft chocolate (e.g. Askinosie, Dick Tayor).
There are dozens of middlemen in between cocoa farmers and mass market chocolate makers. The economics of this supply chain have led to bland chocolate and decades of horrifying child trafficking in Côte d’Ivoire.
There are very often zero middlemen between cocoa farmers and bean-to-bar craft chocolate makers. The economics of this supply chain result in superb chocolate and steadily improving conditions in origin communities.
Simpler supply chains make for more delicious, and more ethical chocolate. Plus, at your next cocktail party you can tell friends you're helping to disintermediate the global cacao supply chain.
There's a conversation starter.
HOW DOES THIS AFFECT YOU?
- You get chocolates that are richer in flavor, aroma, and texture. Because of their close relationship with farmers, craft chocolate makers are able to incentivize farmers to grow higher quality beans. Because they often buy beans instead of commodity bulk chocolate, craft chocolate makers are able to optimize for deliciousness during each of the dozens of steps required to go from bean to bar.
- You get to feel good about your indulgence. Child trafficking is a major problem in the Côte d’Ivoire, which supplies over 40% of the world's commodity cocoa. Craft chocolate's simpler supply chain means more of your dollars go to the farmer and his surrounding community. That means more families can afford to send their kids to school rather than the plantation.
The world of craft chocolate is exploding onto the food scene, making flavorful, aromatic chocolate with a social impact that spans the globe.
THE KINDS OF COMPANIES THAT MAKE YOUR CHOCOLATE
INSIGHTS to Elevate Your Experience
Each Tea with Chocolate box comes with insights on the makers and methods behind your pairings.
THE MAKERS AND METHODS BEHIND YOUR TEA AND CHOCOLATE
We'll share stories from both past and present that shed light on the cultural, spiritual, and economic context of your teas and chocolates. This includes:
- Why they pursue their craft. A 29 year old living with his mom wins international chocolate awards for his craft chocolate. A small rogue tea importer in Tucson, Arizona traverses Chinese tea gardens looking for teas so good they weren't available for export until now. We'll tell you the crazy stories these crazy folks use to justify the blood, sweat and tears they put into their craft.
- The history and culture. Did you know that early records of Chinese tea indicate it was used more as a food than a beverage? Or that cocoa beans were so precious in the Mayan era that they were used as currency? Tea and chocolate have been pivotal parts of human society for thousands of years. We'll uncover this history for you, one letter at a time.
Spread Peace and Joy
OUR 1% PROMISE
For us, good food and good company is all about being present with life's little joys. We hope our boxes help you find a way back into the present on a regular basis. And we know that with a present state of mind, the subtleties of fine food and the pleasantries of good company become even more vivid than they usually are.
In our experience, most things in life -- not just food -- are more joyful when experienced with a present state of mind.
That's why we promise to donate 1% of all our profits to rockstar nonprofits like Isha that help spread meditation and mindfulness practices around the world.
It's our way of turning the little moments of joy we provide you, our customer, into many more moments of joy across the globe.
Also, Sadhguru is the hippest guru in the world. See evidence above.
HERE'S HOW IT WORKS IN MORE DETAIL
STEP ONE: BECOME A MEMBER
STEP TWO: GET EXCITED
We ship on Tuesdays -- the first one on or after the 15th of the month, to be specific. We stop accepting orders the Monday before that.
So if the 15th of the month is Tuesday, you need to order by the 7th to get in on that month's box. If the 15th of the month were, say, a Wednesday, then we'd ship on Tuesday the 21st and you'd need to order by Monday the 13th to get in on that.
STEP THREE: GET PAIRINGS EVERY MONTH
Rejoice. Call friends over. Treat your mom to afternoon Tea. Learn about tea, chocolate, and the sensory experience. Have a generally good time.
BONUS: ZERO RISK 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
If for any reason, your first Tea with Chocolate box doesn't knock your socks off, just send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days of receiving it. Tell us what went wrong and we'll refund you the entirety of your payment. No questions asked.
Frequently Asked Questions
HOW MANY CUPS OF TEA IS 30 GRAMS?
Thirty grams of tea makes approximately 10 8oz cups if you only steep it once. Since you'll get a total of 60g of tea, you'll have about 20 8oz cups worth of tea in each box if you're a one-steep kinda person.
That being said, artisan loose leaf teas taste great steep after steep. So if you embrace the multi-steep lifestyle, you're looking at 40 or more cups of tea.
And while you certainly can enjoy these teas on a daily basis, we recommend reserving them for dedicated tea times on the weekend. That way you'll be able to take the time to savor every ounce and appreciate them in all their complexity.
How MANY KINDS OF TEA DO I GET?
You get 30g each of two kinds of tea.
CAN I ORDER IF I LIVE IN CANADA? (OR MEXICO, OR...)
For now, we're limiting orders to the contiguous United States. If you live in Alaska, Canada, or another part of the world, we're unfortunately not able to ship to you just yet. To get on our international orders waitlist, just email email@example.com with subject line "International Waitlist."
I LIKE TEA AND CHOCOLATE, BUT I DON'T KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT THEM. IS THIS FOR ME?
Tea with Chocolate is for you if:
- You're interested in exploring teas that are a step above what you'd get at, for example, Teavana
- You've tried Mast Brothers, Dick Taylor, or other craft chocolate makers and are interested in exploring a wider variety of bars
- You're a foodie who'd like to refine your palette and impress friends
- You meditate and are excited about the chance to tune into your body and experience some delicious whimsy and wonder
It's for folks who really want to explore the flavors, culture, and history of fine teas and bean-to-bar craft chocolates. We know it's definitely not for everyone, and we want customers to stay with us only if they LOVE getting their boxes in the mail every month.
That's why we offer the 30 day money guarantee. How does that work? Glad you asked...
HOW DOES THE 30 DAY MONEY GUARANTEE WORK?
It's simple. If for any reason you're not thrilled with your first box, just send as an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org within 30 days of getting it. Let us know what we could have done better, and we'll refund you your full payment.
HOW CAN I GET IN TOUCH IF I HAVE A QUESTION?
It literally makes us grin from ear to ear to hear from you. Just send us a note at email@example.com.